Thursday 3 December 2015

Oblivion


Oblivion
Rating: 5/5 
Buy or Borrow: Buy! DUHHH!
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Experience the epic love story of OBSIDIAN as told by its hero, Daemon Black…

I knew the moment Katy Swartz moved in next door, there was going to be trouble. Lots of it. 

And trouble’s the last thing I need, since I’m not exactly from around here. My people arrived on Earth from Lux, a planet thirteen billion light years away. Plus, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that humans can’t be trusted. We scare them. We can do things they only dream about, and honestly, we make them look weak as hell. ‘Cuz they are. 

But Kat is getting to me in ways no one else has, and I can't stop myself from wanting her—or wanting to use my powers to protect her. She makes me weak, and I’m the strongest of our kind, tasked with protecting us all. So this one simple girl…she can mean the end for us. Because the Luxen have an even bigger enemy—the Arum, and I need to stay on my game. 

Falling for Katy—a human—won't just place her in danger. It could get us all killed, and that’s one thing I’ll never let happen...


First, I just have to say, it took a Herculean effort to post this on pub day as asked, rather than on Black Friday so I could make a Daemon Black/Black Friday pun. Seriously. 




Yes, this is Obsidian, the first Lux book, from Daemon's point of view and PRAISE.THE.LORD! Genuinely I thought I was hallucinating when I saw what Oblivion was about! I mean...seriously, if you're a Lux fan you've probably always thought about it and hoped for it and then BOOM. It happened! And if you buy the eBook, you get the next two freaking books from his POV as well.....I CANNOT EVEN! I'm all over that when it's out! 

When you read Obsidian, you genuinely sit there and wonder what Daemon is thinking during certain scenes. What motivated his attitude and his behaviour and choices and so on and this book gives you that and more! You see his thought process, see what he thought of Katy and what his feelings for her where and how they developed! There's gaps filled in from the first book, lots of bits where Katy wasn't present, or what was going on before she walked in to a scene or something she mentions happening being shown, like a conversation with her and Daemon about something and so on. There's also new scenes, obviously! 

I genuinely was squealing as I was reading, I mean the beginning scene and there where so many cute moments both from the first book and just from Daemon in general. Obsidian all comes flooding back as you read! I debated re-reading but a fellow Armentrout Army fangirl (The Book Chapter)  said to get on it straight away, because Obsidian comes flooding back so I did because I didn't really need much prompting, and she was so right! I have to say...it's been FANTASTIC to have someone to fangirl with, she's the only other fan I know of so if you're a fan of Jennifer and her books make yourselves known to us! She understands all the feels I'm feeling about this book! 

 I took ages to read my last book, even though it was one I loved, but as soon as I picked this up....I read most of it in mere hours. I finished it while puppy sitting and seriously. Cute little puppy all "play with meeee I'm so cute" and I'm like "sorry....Daemon is calling!". 

I had SO many feels while reading. I was squealing, I got all the warm and fuzzies, there was SO much cute. Like Daemon helping with the boxes. There's things you guessed about, and things you didn't know about Daemon doing or feeling that are confirmed and it's a feels fest. Genuinely. 

Daemon's inner monologue is freaking hilarious. Seriously, I was chuckling at his phrases and narrative. It was so entertaining, it's one of the many things about the book that keeps you reading, along with the writing, the plot and the characters and the FEELS. You see more about his relationship with Ash, you see more of the other Luxen in the beginning and get a feel for them through the eyes of someone who's known them a long while, it's a different side to them. 

Like I've said, there's plenty of other scenes not from Obsidian, not that I mind seeing scenes from the first book from Daemon's POV because, to going to lie, I do kinda read them and think "I'd love to know what Daemon was thinking"...but it's not all scenes from the first book! I know some people may be wary that's it's basically the first book, verbatim, scene for scene, but from Daemon's POV. It is Obsidian. But it's not exactly the same. Like I said....new scenes both with and without Katy. You get a more detailed and dimensional inner movie/picture of Obsidian as well as a complete look at their relationship. I love the well rounded feel I have right now from reading it in Daemon's POV and having little suspicions confirmed, and seeing all these little scenes not from the first book. There's even some scenes from the first book NOT in this book. They're mentioned, but it's not shown again and I loved that. It's like Armentrout KNOWS exactly what scenes we want to see! 

This is actually my first time reading a book from the heroes POV and I must say, it was so well done and I loved every page of it. The thing I loved about Lux before was the originality and the characters and the vivid setting and the plot and just everything basically okay. It's all present again, it sucks you back in to the world again. I loved Katy so much in the books, she's one of my all time favourite character's as she's so much like me. Beyond the blogger thing that is! So it was really fun seeing her through someone else's eyes and knowing what she was thinking while you see a scene as Daemon's experiencing it. Her personality and everything I loved about her in the other books still came through even though she wasn't the one narrating. 

I loved Dee as well, and I know we got to know her so much over the course of the books, but I feel like this book has added another layer to her. You see how much she cared about Katy right from the beginning in the way she called Daemon out and was upset whenever he was rude and horrible and I mean, I know we saw some of it in Obsidian but still. Seeing Daemon's reasoning behind the behaviour though....my FEELS! 

Oblivion is the book made of dreams for any Lux fan. There's an olympic level of "awwwww" in the scenes. So. Much. Cute! I fangirled, I squealed, and I was gutted when it was over because I wanted to carry on reading from his POV. I was never bored or had a sense of deja vu because I saw scenes from Obsidian with new eyes, and new scenes added to the story told in Obsidian. I think Jennifer has done an amazing job with this, and it's like she looked in to our brains and knew exactly what scenes we wanted to see! Daemon as a narrator is entertaining and the book overall, much like Obsidian, was hilarious and fun and just a fantastic read. Jennifer's books are my go to when I'm feeling down as they always pick me up, but then I can read them in any mood to be honest! This book is genuinely perfect and I'm excited to get the eBook and read the next two books from Daemon's POV! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...