Tuesday 26 April 2016

TBR Bites #2

Hey guys! 
Two things! First...thank you so much for all the positive feedback and encouragement for my new feature! It's given me the determination to continue it! I'm not sure how regular it will be at this stage, I'm aiming for every week but we'll see!



Second...welcome to TBR Bites 2: Brandon Sanderson Edition! I know I said I'd only show you a couple a week but I hauled Mistborn off my shelves to take the Currently Reading photo for it and I thought....I should probably do them all together and seeing as I've pulled a few of them off already..why not! So let's get acquainted with the Sanderson books occupying my TBR shelves!



First up is the Mistborn Trilogy! Although, there are other books and I'm not sure if they're spin off's from the trilogy or if this was supposed to be a trilogy but ended up being longer! Either way I have the first three books, and I got them ages ago after everyone was raving about them when one of the others came out! I can't resist a fantasy and I've been told again and again how brilliant Mistborn is! I'm actually writing this while I'm still reading Ink and Bone but I am reading The Final Empire next, and when this goes up I'm probably going to be still reading it! 

In the world of this book the Dark Lord has gained dominion over the world. A world of ash and pain. A world subjugated. But a world where magic can be drawn from metals. A world waiting for a new heroine, a new hope. 



This I picked up when I picked up Steelheart because I had one of those Waterstones stamp cards and I got a free tenner to spend, and ya know...everyone raved about Brandon Sanderson and I decided to pick up these two seeing as they didn't have the first Mistborn book in stock at the time and these two sounded interesting! Not gonna lie, Warbreaker is also purple which is my favourite colour and may have swayed me a little bit! I'm banking so hard on liking Sanderson's writing! 

In Warbreaker we have a tale of two sisters who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them will have to marry, a lesser god, and an immortal trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago. In this world, those who die in glory return as gods, but they have to live confined in a Pantheon in the capital city. The world has been transformed by BioChromatic magic, a power that's based on the essence known as breath. Therefore using magic is arduous, and breath has to be collected one unit at a time from individual people. But the rewards are well worth the trouble. By using breath and drawing upon the colour in everyday objects...all manner of miracles and mischief can be performed. 



I'm actually so annoyed I didn't realise these where round the wrong way *frowny face*
So, I picked up Steelheart using the Waterstones stamp card because it sounded brilliant and right up my street...the other week I picked up the sequel Firefight with another Waterstones stamp card! I'm eager to get to these two because I'm getting fantasy superhero vibes! 

In Steelheart, Calamity came to the world ten years ago. It gave ordinary people extraordinary powers, and the awed public started to call them Epics. But Epics are no friends of man. With their incredible gifts, came the desire to rule..big surprise there. Nobody fights the Epics, nobody except for the Reckoners. The Reckoners a shady group of normal people, they spend their lives studying the Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them. David wants in. He wants Steelheart, the Epic who killed his father, and is said to be invincible. He's spent years doing the same as the Reckoners, studying and planning and now he has something they need. But it's not an object, it's an experience...he saw Steelheart bleed. 

I'm not going to say much about Firefight because I don't want to spoil it for myself or others but from what I'm aware it's the continuation of David's story and he's looking for answers and hunting down another Epic called Firefight. I think! 



I actually won this one from the publisher! I'm a bit confused though because I think it's supposed to be the entire Stormlight Archive collection but then...it has Volume One written on the cover and I can't find a Volume Two to match so if anyone knows what that's all about do let me know! This book is freaking huge, I'm not going to lie, and I'll probably get around to this one last because it takes me ages to read huge books like this, like it's Game of Thrones level huge! 

According to mythology mankind used to live in The Tranquiline Halls. Heaven. But then the Voidbringers assaulted and captured Heaven, casting out God and men. Men took root on Roshar, the world of storms and the Voidbringers followed. They came against men ten thousand times. To help them in their fight the Almighty gave men powerful suits or armour and mystical weapons, known as Shardblades. Led by ten angelic Heralds and ten orders of Knights known as Radiants..mankind finally won. Or so the legends say. The only remnants of these battles are Shardblades, the possession of which makes a man nearly invincible on the battlefield. The entire world is at war with itself, and has been for centuries since the Radiants turned on mankind. Kings strive to win more Shardblades, each secretly wishing to be the one to unite all of makind under one throne. 

On a world scoured down to rock by terrifying hurricanes that blow through every few days, a young spearman is forced in to the army of a Shardbearer, led to war against an enemy he doesn't understand and doesn't really want to fight. What happened deep in mankinds past? Why did the Radiants turn against mankind? What happened to the magic they used to wield? 

I know, I have quite the collection for someone who still hasn't read even one of his books! The thing is, a trusted friend loves them and I'm 99% sure I'm going to love them too. I love fantasy and each one of these books sounds so different not only from the others, but from any other fantasy I've come across! From what I've read of the synopsis, the author takes each new book and makes an entirely new world with with magic and myths and legends all of their own and that's astounding as it is! I really need to complete my collection so there's some Mistborn I need to pick up, some novellas and Elantris and I think that's it! I'm actually really excited to dive in to all these different worlds! 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...