Thursday 5 May 2016

April Book Haul

They see me haaaauuuuliiinnn....
Yep it's book haul time! I've excluded my little charity book haul seeing as I did that as a separate post! I've been quite lucky on the haul front this month, and have a fair few to share!


So first up we have the books I've received from publishers, plus a late birthday present AND a book I won. Yep. Won! I'm so rarely lucky enough to win things!

The Amber Shadows by Lucy Ribchester
Ribchester is back with another fantastic historical novel, with stunning amounts of research, this time we're heading to Bletchley Park at the height of WW2! 

And I Darken by Kiersten White
One of my most anticipated reads, and one that's being described as a brutal and bloody epic feminist debut, with an anti-princess, it sounds all kinds of awesome! 

Who Killed Sherlock Holmes by Paul Cornell
So....Sherlock Holmes' ghost has casually been murdered....but who did it!? 

The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling
A stunning new edition from Alma Classics, and one I'm excited to review because I've not actually read the Jungle Book...shhhh!

Kill The Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky
The synopsis for this is a bit shady, our narrator is talking about how fangirls get a bad rep, and there's mentions of loving the band to death so this should be interesting! 

The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
My birthday present from Shazina and a book I've been meaning to read for ages! I'm excited to buddy read this in the Summer and get in on the hype! 

The Mirror King by Jodi Meadows
The sequel to The Orphan Queen and the book that I managed to scrape the luck to win! Shazina's birthday present is completely perfect, because I can dive in to both! 

Fellow history nerds rejoice, for Alison Weir is giving us six books, one per year, one for each of Henry VIII's Queens and I am excited to dive in and get to know these ladies better, and we're starting with Queen number 1, Katherine of Aragon! I watched the Tudors, and Katherine was a complete badass the entire time, and throughout everything! 


Definitely did not forget to put these on the stack *whistles* 

Romeo and Juliet & Macbeth by John Crace and John Sutherland
These two beauties are Shakespeare as you've never seen before...understandable! If you're like me and struggle to grasp just what is going on or being said, then these are for you! The waffle is cut out, and you get the basics that you need to understand the plot. This cut back version of the plays, coupled with the notes giving you information on the Bard and the plays gives you a better understanding whether you've read the plays before or not! 


Yep, puppy sitting pays surprisingly well these days! 
I'm still frantically trying to catch up on various manga, the main one being Fairy Tail, a lottery win would really help me out right about now! Anyways, I bought these ones myself, except for the gift edition of Chamber of Secrets, that was another late birthday present! 

The School For Unusual Girls by Kathleen Baldwin
I've had my eye on this book for ages, and found it super cheap so I couldn't resist! There's romance, it's 1814, there's a school where girls are sent to become more marriageable but the headmistress has ideas, shall we say! It sounds awesome anyway! 

So, last year I got the Philosopher's Stone so of course I needed this, and a family member got me this for my birthday, yaaaay! I thought there was going to be one of these a year, every January with the illustrated version every October, but it would seem the Gift Editions are being rolled out 3 a year! MY BANK ACCOUNT CAN'T TAKE IT! 

Fairy Tail Volumes 5 & 6 
My main focus was on catching up Blue Exorcist because it was cheaper than Fairy Tail, so this month I only managed to get two volumes, and I read them and ugh. Volume 6 leaves off as the Phantom Lord arc is kicking off and I've seen the anime but STILL. 

The Seven Deadly Sins Volumes 5 & 6 
It was these two volumes that made me realise that the spines make a picture when put in the right order, yep, I'm that slow! hahaha! I'm starting to see some differences between the manga and anime right about now, but it's fun reading it all! 

Blue Exorcist Volumes 11, 12, 13 & 14
And with these volumes I am finally caught up on Blue Exorcist, although I read them all the other day and now I wish I wasn't caught up, I mean Volume 15 is out May so the wait isn't too bad, but the cliffhanger on 14! This manga is so different from the anime and there where some huge revelations I didn't see coming! I'm hoping there's not a bad cliffhanger for 15 because 16 isn't until December! 

Twin Star Exorcists 1, 2, & 3 
Like I keep saying...saw a few minutes of the anime...got intrigued, and ended up getting the manga. I was iffy at first, but once it got going, I became hooked, and I need volume 4! 

Super lucky to get 5 and 6 brand new from the charity shop for a couple of quid each...super unlucky that they didn't have any of the other volumes! So of course I had to pick up volume 1 from Waterstones so I could at least start reading it! I'm loving this one so far, it's taken some twists I wasn't expecting, it has to be said! 

Guys this is my new favourite graphic novel, it's all kinds of awesome and you should all pick it up immediately! WW2, our favourite DC ladies kicking ass, glorious art and a brilliant storyline...a necessary read! I need all of the Bombshells merch, not gonna lie! 

So there we have my book haul, what did you guys haul this month?! 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for And I Darken, I read a review for it yesterday and I am all the more excited for it now. The Orphan Queen and The Mirror King are on my to-buy list everyone seems to have enjoyed them and now that they are both out I think a back-to-back read of the duology is in order!

    - Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...