Friday 7 October 2016

Review: The Sight


The Sight 
Rating: 4/5 
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Claire Connolly is a Sensitive, infected with magic when the Veil that divides humanity from the world beyond fell. Magic can easily consume and destroy a Sensitive, and if Claire’s secret is discovered she’ll be locked into the walled district of Devil’s Isle along with every other Paranormal left in the city.

Bounty hunter Liam Quinn discovered Claire’s secret, but refused to turn her in. Together they saved New Orleans from the resurgence of magic that nearly destroyed it. But now a dangerous cult is on the rise, and it will take both Claire and Liam—and magical allies within Devil’s Isle’s towering walls—to defeat the occult threat before magic corrupts them both...



Well...that was quite the ending wasn't it? I'm totally not really desperate to know what happens next. Nope. Not at all. The wait totally shouldn't be a problem. Seriously. It's all good. Totally fiiiiine. I can't even. Right when what I want is right there and happening, Neill cruelly yanks it away and then is like "lol wait for the next book for all the angst before the resolution" and I'm like...but....I don't wanna! I totally want the next book to find out what the hell is going to go down! 

After the end of the first book I was curious to see what was going to happen next, and where the story was going to go. As I started to read, I merrily fell back in to the intriguing world the author had created. I've got to say, I love what she's done with the world of the book, and it's a very vivid setting. The first few chapters are kind of slow and that might make some people give up, I have to say you guys...persevere because when it gets good...it gets good. 

We have a nice little cult crawl out of the woodwork led by Ezekiel. Ah Ezekiel. It was hate at first sight, and I was totally rooting for him to get his, not going to lie to you. Agent doucheard...sorry...I mean Broussard is back and thankfully he isn't in it much. I kept waiting for him to pop up with Ezekiel and the pair to be BFF's but it didn't happen. Honestly Neill really makes some downright nasty characters that you have no problem getting excited for their take down. 

The book is very fast paced, something I appreciate, but at the same time, towards the end of the book we have the Consularis para's and the humans working together and having a sort of..what's the word...truce I think is the word I'm looking for! I kind of feel like it's a bit sudden, we saw some of the conflict and feuding and attitudes towards both sides in the first book and some in this, but I feel like it could have been built up a bit more, and we could have gotten a deeper look at it. I thought we might have some more tension building for another book or so while other stuff is going on, is all! I got the feeling like some things where being missed out, some scenes and some other little things but the plot is still enjoyable nonetheless. I am intrigued to see where this is going in the next book, and to see if Claire is right about who the new enemy is going to be and if para's are now going to be allowed some more freedoms. 

Claire and Liam shippers are going to love this installment as we see some progress in their romance! I got really excited and then really sad not too long after because of the end of the book. It was like one small step for them and then a bajillion steps back and I can't even. I tried to make that work with THAT quote and failed utterly. Sorry. Anyway, I'm seeing some angst in their future and I'm intrigued by what exactly has happened to Liam, I'm not sure I understand it fully because I might have forgotten some piece of information from the first book because I don't recall such a thing being possible or what it means or whatever. But it's going to create a problem for our favourite couple! 

I loved Claire's development in this book, she's been so gung-ho about hiding what she is and making sure no-one knows except for her group, and then in this book she's like 'screw it, time to save everyone' and totally owns being a Sensitive, even though the consequences for her are less than ideal. Liam was kind of doing okay with everything, and then the ending threw a spanner in the works. I'm forever hoping for more Gavin and Gunnar and Malachi and Tadji and Moses! I love them, they're such brilliant secondary characters and I have such a need to see more of them and I'm not sure we'll get to see much of them in the next book! 

I have to be honest, and say that I didn't love this book as much as the first one. There where some great moments in the book, the plot went in an interesting direction and I loved seeing the characters and the world of the book again. This book was more focused on the politics, but it did provide some interesting opportunities for book three and where the story can go, that I'm intrigued to see explored. Also. Claire's new digs (We all know that's where she's gonna go) totally reminded me hardcore of the Men of Letter's clubhouse/bunker in Supernatural but smaller! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...