Wednesday 26 October 2016

Spooktober Review: Dark Tales


Dark Tales
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

The perfect read for Hallowe'en, this new hardback volume of Jackson's finest stories reveals the queen of American gothic at her unsettling, mesmerising best

There's something nasty in suburbia. In these deliciously dark tales, the daily commute turns into a nightmarish game of hide and seek, the loving wife hides homicidal thoughts and the concerned citizen might just be an infamous serial killer. In the haunting world of Shirley Jackson, nothing is as it seems and nowhere is safe, from the city streets to the country manor, and from the small-town apartment to the dark, dark woods...


I've been meaning to get around to reading Shirley Jackson for ages! We Have Always Lived at the Castle has been on my list for ages, so when I got offered Dark Tales to review, I jumped at it! 

I was intrigued to see what all the fuss was about with Shirley Jackson and I eagerly started to read. The stories where atmospheric, they where kinda creepy and in some cases eerie, others where a little bit chilling and they made you think. But I wouldn't agree with the quote on the front that says they're terrifying. I didn't find them all that scary. I found them dark...but just not all that terrifying. I enjoyed the twists the stories had, they always kept me guessing and had a shock twist. I enjoyed her writing for the most part, but I will admit I was expecting the stories to be more scary than they where! Although I am still intrigued by WHALATC! 


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...