Tuesday 8 November 2016

Review: Frost Like Night


Frost Like Night
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy!
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher!

Angra is alive, his Decay is spreading—and no one is safe.

Meira will do anything to save her world. With Angra trying to break through her mental defenses, she desperately needs to learn to control her own magic—so when the leader of a mysterious Order from Paisly offers to teach her, she jumps at the chance. But the true solution to stopping the Decay lies in a labyrinth deep beneath the Season Kingdoms. To defeat Angra, Meira will have to enter the labyrinth, destroy the very magic she’s learning to control—and make the biggest sacrifice of all.

Mather will do anything to save his queen. He needs to rally the Children of the Thaw, find Meira—and finally tell her how he really feels. But with a plan of attack that leaves no kingdom unscathed and a major betrayal within their ranks, winning the war—and protecting Meira—slips farther and farther out of reach.

Ceridwen will do anything to save her people. Angra had her brother killed, stole her kingdom, and made her a prisoner. But when she’s freed by an unexpected ally who reveals a shocking truth behind Summer’s slave trade, Ceridwen must take action to save her true love and her kingdom, even if it costs her what little she has left.


As Angra unleashes the Decay on the world, Meira, Mather, and Ceridwen must bring the kingdoms of Primoria together…or lose everything.


It's over you guys, it's really over! I'm so sad this trilogy had to come to an end, but it's a completely perfect ending to such a brilliant trilogy! I read this in two sittings. It would have been one but I really needed to sleep so I had to force myself to stop and then I woke up and then I was kinda procrastinating from reading because I didn't want it to end, but I couldn't stay away for long so then I ended up reading the last half super fast! 

Frost Like Night picks up right where Ice Like Fire left off, and it's action packed from the start! There where plenty of moments that made me want to scream "NOOOO!" as well while I was reading, there are some truly heartbreaking moments and I ended up crying a couple of times! I love how Sara writes, and she's written this trilogy so brilliantly and I love how she's brought everything together plot wise, into this finale and I genuinely couldn't put it down! Like I said, it's action packed and there's plenty of moments that I've been waiting for, for ages, and I cheered a lot when I was reading like a total nutter to anyone who didn't know why, and the book was so fast paced, and it was just really, really hard to put it down! 

This book we get Meira's POV, obviously as well as Mather and....Ceridwen! I freaking love Ceridwen! I completely fell in love with her last book and I loved her friendship with Meira, I'm sad we didn't get to see more of the two of them together this book, we did get to see enough to make me happy! I just love the two of them together, and their friendship makes me smile, especially the scene at the end! ANYWAY. Love Ceridwen, complete badass, and I love how we got to read her perspective on events in this book. I ship her and Jesse so hard, I can't lie, and I did last book. They're SO cute together! 

The POV switches are smooth, and they work so well in the beginning. Without being too spoilery, in the beginning everything's kicking off, and there's lots of things happening all at once, and Raasch switches the POVs so perfectly, keeping up with each of the three characters and where they are and what they're doing and I feel like the POV switches kept that beginning sequence snappy and fast moving. Then the POV switches helped you keep up to date with what was happening with the war plans and Meira and everything. I also love it when some of the switches interrupt an OMG moment and you're like "CERIDWEN I LOVE YOU BUT YOU COULDN'T WAIT ANOTHER CHAPTER?!" it keeps you reading, and you get hooked in and then you switch and you're like NOOO and then you get hooked in and then you're like NOOO again. Love it. It keeps you on your toes and keeps the pace, and the plot moving forward. 

This book we get some new secondary characters to love, Rares and Oana, I LOVED them and I loved how much they helped Meira and where all parental to her, and I want to see more of them but the trilogy is over....cos trilogy! We also got to see all the secondary characters that we know and love from the other two books! Lekan and Nessa and Connall and Kaleon and everyone! I love how Raasch writes her characters both primary and secondary so you love the primary characters and root for them, but you also love the secondary characters and enjoy reading about them, and they help to bring the world to life, you get so ridiculously attached to the lot of them! I also love how characters that where introduced in the previous two books weren't forgotten about, but where included. 

I want to mention the character development in this book real quick! There was a lot of it. I'm sad we didn't get to see more of Theron and see how he dealt with everything BUT I was super pleased with the character development for everyone else. Sir. Mather. Jesse. Jesse gets a special mention because while I loved him and shipped him with Ceridwen so hard last book, I kinda wanted to smack him one as well for his lack of action and everything he didn't do. In this book, he fights for Ceridwen and becomes more assertive and he changes a lot for the better and I was so happy to see it because it meant I could root for him even more, and ship he and Ceridwen even harder! I may have muttered FINALLY a few times when reading Ceridwen's POV with Jesse. 

Meira also develops even more, I loved watching her learn to accept herself, learn to accept that she is enough as she is. She accepts all the mistakes she's made and again...FINALLY was near shouted more than once! I loved Meira so completely, I'm always rooting for her and I connected to her so easily in the first book! I also feel like Mather and Sir got some character develop right there at the end too, which was nice to see, there's a nice little moment with Sir that I think everyone is going to like and Mather? Don't get me started on Mather! 

Last book, I finally picked a team. In the first book I was undecided because of events that happen in that book with Mather and I ended up quite liking Theron. Last book I got too irritated with douchey behaviour, and after seeing Mather's thoughts and side of things...I picked Team Mather. I had no regrets this book. Theron was lost to the decay and he couldn't bring himself out of it. After seeing Mather's thoughts and his feelings for Meira and how he wasn't going to leave her again, and how adorable he was....I shipped Meira and Mather harder than ever. They're so perfect together and so adorable and my shipper heart was incredibly happy this book. I got hit with the feels multiple times, they really bring the warm and fuzzies more than once! My poor little Mather at the end though! 

Frost Like Night continues to make you feel all the feels! You feel what the characters feel, the book is atmospheric. You feel the tension and the suspense and the sense of danger. Plus the impending sense of doom hanging over the group. The atmosphere seeps out to wrap around you and bring you in to the world of the book as much as the vivid world building. By this book we already have a pretty good mental image of the world, but Raasch continues to brilliantly describe the different settings, as well as bringing us a new setting to wonder at. We've gotten to see every kingdom in the book, and I've loved how different each Kingdom is in both how they look, but how they run and what they believe in and so on. 

Frost Like Night is a genuinely perfect ending to the trilogy, and I'm still so sad it has to end! Raasch brings everything we love from the first two books, and includes them in here. Her storytelling, her ability to describe a location concisely but without half assing it like some authors do when they think you should already remember how it looks. The uniqueness and originality of the world, the action, the complex plot with multiple threads, the loveable and relatable characters, the vividness, the atmosphere, the cinematic quality to her writing. Everything. She gives the book her all, and you end up being completely sucked in to the world of the book. 

Sara has written the whole trilogy so perfectly, hooking you in and keeping you on your toes, throwing surprises at you and hitting you with shocking plot twists that have you screeching at the book. Sara has invited us in to her world, and taken us on such an epic adventure, I've loved disappearing in to the world of Primoria for hours as I read and adventure with Meira and co. The ending of this book, of this trilogy in general...is so damn satisfying. I mean, I'd be content with another book, or like some novellas or something, but I'm greedy like that when I discover a series that I really love! I cannot wait to for Sara's next venture, from the first chapter of Snow Like Ashes I immediately fell in love with her writing and world building and immediately added her to my list of auto-buy authors. If you haven't read the trilogy, now is the perfect time, you can binge read the entire thing without the agonising year long waits I've suffered through! I promise you, you won't regret it! 



SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...