Thursday 5 January 2017

2017 Releases: Series Edition

Hey guys! 
I have a tonne more recs/books for you to look out for this year! So last time I showed you all a load of 2017 debuts, and this time around I'm focusing on book series! Seriously, there's so many books coming out I've had to divide it because I didn't think you'd be down for sitting and reading through a massively long post of like 50 or so books! 

Anyway, there where a tonne of good book series that either started last year or had a new book out, and we all read them and loved them and needed the next book like NOW, and NOW is now...well..now. Because this year we're getting those next installments. In some cases a series or trilogy is coming to an end, which brings a whole load of feels with it and slight dread because you know...series over!  In other cases, we're getting the next book and by next I mean either the sequel or like the third or whatever, and there's plenty of them to get excited for! 

If you haven't read any of these series, maybe I can convince you by telling you aaaalll about the new books! I'm fairly certain a good few of you guys will be just as excited for these as I am and already aware that they're out but just in case check them all out down below! If I've missed any please, leave me a comment so I can add it to my list! I hope you're all ready for a new year of emotional suffering at the hands of our favourite authors ;)  

I should also mention there's some here that aren't on the list because they don't even have titles yet! Like the FINAL Throne of Glass book! The Forever Ships, the final Fire Sermon book that doesn't even have a synopsis yet! Not to mention I'm like 99% sure the third Diviners book is supposed to be out this year but I could be wrong! I'm also excited for a couple of sequels, such as Traitor to the Throne, that I still haven't read the first books of yet! They're staring at me from my shelves! 

Again, I'll be tagging all the authors and publishers in my tweets with the link to this so you guys can follow them because they know faaaarrrr more than me about these releases! 


1. The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman

I'm sure you're all well aware how much I loved The Dark Days Club last year, it was one of my favourites, if not THE favourite! I just fell in love with it, the writing, the world, the setting, the plot, the way it all builds up slowly until things are revealed, and the originality and the romance and the time period. *sigh*. It's just so good. I know some readers have struggled to get through it because it's a bit slow in the beginning, but it's so worth persevering because it's genuinely such a necessary build up before things start happening! ANYWAY. I've convinced many people to read this book, including my mother, who completely loved it and is also eagerly awaiting the second book! I'll be finishing it and handing it straight over! 

"June 1812. Just weeks after her catastrophic coming-out ball, Lady Helen Wrexhall—now disowned by her uncle—is a full member of the demon-hunting Dark Days Club. Her mentor, Lord Carlston, has arranged for Helen to spend the summer season in Brighton so that he can train her new Reclaimer powers. However, the long-term effects of Carlston’s Reclaimer work have taken hold, and his sanity is beginning to slip. At the same time, Carlston’s Dark Days Club colleague and nemesis will stop at nothing to bring Helen over to his side—and the Duke of Selburn is determined to marry her. The stakes are even higher for Helen as she struggles to become the warrior that everyone expects her to be."

Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

2. Windwitch by Susan Dennard

Is anyone at all surprised that this is on the list? Another of my favourites of the year, Truthwitch was one of those books that you start to read and you just know you're going to love. The romance, the action, the adventure, the characters who are relatable and believable, the complex plot with all the different threads and the magic and originality. It's such a brilliant book and after the ending of Truthwitch I've needed Windwitch more than life itself. Head on over to Susan's twitter for a Truthwitch recap before you get stuck in to Windwitch! I should also mention that I read Something Strange and Deadly for Halloween and after reading that trilogy and how it ended for my ship, I'm mildly terrified for this! 

"Sometimes our enemies become our only allies
The Windwitch Prince Merik is presumed dead, following a lethal explosion. He's left scarred but alive and determined to expose his sister's treachery. Yet on reaching the royal capital, he's shocked to find it crowded with refugees fleeing conflict. Merik haunts the streets, fighting for the weak. This leads to whispers of a disfigured demigod, the Fury, who brings justice to the oppressed.

Hunted by the Cleaved, Iseult is struggling to stay free while she searches for her friend Safi. When the Bloodwitch Aeduan corners Iseult first, she offers him a deal: she'll return what was stolen from him, if he locates the Truthwitch. Yet unknown to Iseult, there's a bounty on her head - and Aeduan intends to claim it.

After a surprise attack and shipwreck, Safi and the Empress of Marstok barely escape with their lives. They find themselves amongst pirates, where a misstep could mean death. And the bandits' next move could unleash war upon the Witchlands."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

3. The Revenant Express by George Mann

The Newbury and Hobbes series is one of my favourite steampunk book series, it's got realistic characters who's flaws make them all the more believable, murder and mystery and tonnes of cool steampunk devices. I've been eagerly awaiting this book for soooo long, I got all excited because I thought it was out last year but then found out that it's this year! 

"Following their bloody encounter with the Executioner, Sir Maurice Newbury's assistant Veronica Hobbes is close to death. Desperate to save her life, Newbury and Veronica's sister Amelia board a sleeper train bound for St. Petersburg, in the hope that Gustav Faberge might have the answer. But there are enemies on board, and Newbury and Amelia will need all their strength and cunning to survive the Revenant Express."

Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

4. King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard

Again, no-ones going to be surprised to see this on here! Red Queen was an instant favourite when I read it upon its release, and I've waited in anticipation for both Glass Sword which was out last year, and now King's Cage the third book. I'm so not ready for it after how Glass Sword ended, I'm not emotionally prepared for it, but at the same time I'm so excited to see what's going to happen next! I actually thought this was a trilogy and this was the final book, but there's four books according to GoodReads, which means that I have until next year to prepare myself for the grand finale! 
That being said, Victoria is a master at huge plot twists and I'm slightly scared about the one she's got in this book. Because she will have one. She always does! 

"In this breathless third installment to Victoria Aveyard’s bestselling Red Queen series, allegiances are tested on every side. And when the Lightning Girl's spark is gone, who will light the way for the rebellion?
Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of a boy she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, Maven Calore continues weaving his dead mother's web in an attempt to maintain control over his country—and his prisoner.

As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-ragtag band of newbloods and Reds continue organizing, training, and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own claim on Mare's heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back.
When blood turns on blood, and ability on ability, there may be no one left to put out the fire—leaving Norta as Mare knows it to burn all the way down."


Add it to your TBR! 

~~~~

5. Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare

I'm not going to lie, towards the end of Mortal Instruments I was getting a bit eh about the series, it had been a while in between each book and it's no secret that The Infernal Devices is my favourite of all the Shadowhunter books. I love it, the setting and the characters and the plot! Not that I don't love TMI, I do, but TID is forever my favourite! I was kind of nervous for Lady Midnight, there's so much  Shadowhunters stuff out there I wasn't too sure about another book as excited as I was for it, and with the last Shadowhunters book fresh in my mind and not all that I'd hoped for exactly, I went in to it feeling a bit on edge. But Lady Midnight ended up being very much like Infernal Devices and I loved it, so I'm really excited for this next book! I think the Emma/Julian angst might destroy me though! 

"Emma Carstairs has finally avenged her parents. She thought she’d be at peace. But she is anything but calm. Torn between her desire for her parabatai Julian and her desire to protect him from the brutal consequences of parabatai relationships, she has begun dating his brother, Mark. But Mark has spent the past five years trapped in Faerie; can he ever truly be a Shadowhunter again?

And the faerie courts are not silent. The Unseelie King is tired of the Cold Peace, and will no longer concede to the Shadowhunters’ demands. Caught between the demands of faerie and the laws of the Clave, Emma, Julian, and Mark must find a way to come together to defend everything they hold dear—before it’s too late."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

6. The Scarecrow Queen by Melinda Salisbury

While I enjoyed The Sin Eater's Daughter, it was actually the second book, The Sleeping Prince that really grabbed me and that I enjoyed the most out of the two! Everything was stepped up in Sleeping Prince and things got really real! I loved the ending and it left me wanting so much more, and it made me feel all the feels as I was reading...so I'm really excited for the final book! I can't wait to see how it all ends, Salisbury tied the first two books together so well, and I have every faith that this final book is going to be just as mind blowing as the previous! 

"The final battle is coming . . .

As the Sleeping Prince tightens his hold on Lormere and Tregellan, the net closes in on the ragged band of rebels trying desperately to defeat him. Twylla and Errin are separated, isolated, and running out of time. The final battle is coming, and Aurek will stop at nothing to keep the throne forever . . ."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

7. Heartland by Lucy Hounsom

This another one of those books that I got excited for, only to realise it wasn't coming out until this year! Starborn was such a great debut, it was unique, and well written and had brilliant characters and setting! I've been eager to see what's going to happen to the characters next after the revelations of Starborn, and I feel like I've been waiting years for the next book! BUT it's finally here and I can't wait to get back to the world! 

"She seeks allegiance. But the Empire wants war.

Kyndra has taken on the sunken citadel of Naris and won - for now. In its subterranean chambers, she faced its dangerous politics and a fanatical sect. And as she discovered more about herself than she ever believed possible, she almost lost her life. Now, she's changed the rules for a whole world, but her greatest challenge is still to come." 


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

8. The Savage Dawn by Melissa Grey

This is one of my favourite trilogies that has ever excited. Whenever I think of this book I think of colour, not just because of the covers, but because the author has created a vivid world that to me seems colourful and bright when I envision it and the Avicen. I love the originality to this trilogy, the plot and the characters and I'm really loving the romance to it, although could do without Mr. Third Wheeler coming in and getting in between my baes. 

"The sides have been chosen and the battle lines drawn. 

Echo awakened the Firebird. Now she is the only one with the power to face the darkness she unwittingly unleashed . . . right into the waiting hands of Tanith, the new Dragon Prince. Tanith has one goal in mind: destroy her enemies, raze their lands, and reign supreme in a new era where the Drakharin are almighty and the Avicen are nothing but a memory.

The war that has been brewing for centuries is finally imminent. But the scales are tipped. Echo might hold the power to face the darkness within the Dragon Prince, but she has far to go to master its overwhelming force. And now she’s plagued by uncertainty. With Caius no longer by her side, she doesn’t know if she can do it alone. Is she strong enough to save her home and the people she loves? 

Whether Echo is ready to face this evil is not the question. The war has begun, and there is no looking back. There are only two outcomes possible: triumph or death."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

9. A Conjuring of Light by V.E Schwab

The first book in this trilogy, A Darker Shade of Magic, was the first book I'd ever read by this author and I completely loved it. It sucked me in, it was original, it had brilliant characters, the writing was brilliant and so was the plot. I haven't had a chance to read A Gathering of Shadows, or rather I hadn't when it came out, but then I thought....I'll just wait until A Conjuring of Light is out to read it because then I can avoid any cliffhangers and just have a nice little binge read, so I'm doubly excited for this one! 

 "London's fall and kingdoms rise while darkness sweeps the Maresh Empire—and the fraught balance of magic blossoms into dangerous territory while heroes and foes struggle alike. The direct sequel to A Gathering of Shadows, and the final book in the Shades of Magic epic fantasy series, A Conjuring of Light sees Schwab reach a thrilling culmination concerning the fate of beloved protagonists—and old enemies." 

Add it to your TBR! 

~~~~

10. A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas

This is one of my most anticipated reads of the year, and I seriously need it now! ACOMAF was one of the best books of 2016, and this is looking to be one of the best of 2017. I'm not going to lie, I actually am beginning to like the ACOTAR trilogy more than ToG! I had so much fun trying to guess the name of this book on Twitter, and I came pretty close, which is probably the only fun I will have with this book because we all know there will be emotional pain and suffering. I've said it once and I'll say it again....I am so not here for Tamtool getting all lechy and touchy feely with Feyre and I really hope Rhysand is going to utterly annihilate him :) 

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places. "

Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

11. The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon

FINALLY! It's FINALLY here! A new book in the Bone Season series! I'm so ecstatic about this I can't even begin to tell you guys! I loved Bone Season when I first read it, and the ending left me needing more. Then I waited for Mime Order to be released and I got to read an early copy and it was amazing and then it was like...wait....where's book three?! WHERE IS IT!? Then the waiting began again. Every single time Samantha tweeted about the TSR before we knew it was TSR, and just knew it as Bone Season 3...I got so excited it's unreal. In an exciting show of luck, I got picked to be a Bone Season Advocate which means that I'm allowed to use my skills of persuasion *cough shoving books at you cough* to try to convince all of you to read these books, and now that TSR is here...I think it's the perfect time for you to pick up these books if you haven't already! Especially as Lauren (@FictionTea on Twitter) is doing a read allooonnnggg! Just sayin'.
They're original, fun, and there's plenty of action and romance so there's something for everyone in these books. I just love the whole concept of London with the different Mime Lords which is why Mime Order is my favourite book of the series....so far! 

"Following a bloody battle against foes on every side, Paige Mahoney has risen to the dangerous position of Underqueen, ruling over London's criminal population. 

But, having turned her back on Jaxon Hall and with vengeful enemies still at large, the task of stabilising the fractured underworld has never seemed so challenging. 

Little does Paige know that her reign may be cut short by the introduction of Senshield, a deadly technology that spells doom for the clairvoyant community and the world as they know it…"


Add it to your TBR! 

~~~~

12. The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye

The Crown's Game was a stand out book for me last year, because it surprised me multiple times and wasn't at all what I was expecting. I completely loved it, it hooked me from the start. The author's writing and imagery is SO good, and I loved the characters and the budding romance. I also have to say that Nikolai gave me Will Herondale vibes SO bad you guys! The book in general gave me the same sense of wonder and excitement that I had when I read Clockwork Angel for the first time, which was the first ever Shadowhunter book I read! The ending left me a broken shell of my former, pre-Crown's Game self. In a good way! Sort of ;) 

"Russia is on the brink of great change. Pasha’s coronation approaches, and Vika is now the Imperial Enchanter, but the role she once coveted may be more difficult—and dangerous—than she ever expected.

Pasha is grappling with his own problems—his legitimacy is in doubt, the girl he loves loathes him, and he believes his best friend is dead. When a challenger to the throne emerges—and with the magic in Russia growing rapidly—Pasha must do whatever it takes to keep his position and protect his kingdom.

For Nikolai, the ending of the Crown’s Game stung deeply. Although he just managed to escape death, Nikolai remains alone, a shadow hidden in a not-quite-real world of his own creation. But when he’s given a second chance at life—tied to a dark price—Nikolai must decide just how far he’s willing to go to return to the world.

With revolution on the rise, dangerous new magic rearing up, and a tsardom up for the taking, Vika, Nikolai, and Pasha must fight—or face the destruction of not only their world but also themselves."
 


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

13. Our Dark Duet by V.E Schwab

Yes. Yes I am including two books by the same author, because both books are awesome and are completely different! Having loved ADSOM and The Archived - I went out and bought all her published books over the course of a few months because I LOVE her writing - I was super excited for new Schwab in the form of This Savage Song, I loved the sound of the concept, and much like the above, it wasn't entirely what I was expecting which made for a nice surprise! Victoria has SO many books coming out, there's a new book in the Archived series and the Vicious series I believe, and then we get this and ACOL and *sighs* I'm so excited. But I'm mostly really excited to see what's going to happen to the characters from TSS next! 

"Kate Harker is a girl who isn’t afraid of the dark. She’s a girl who hunts monsters. And she’s good at it. August Flynn is a monster who can never be human, no matter how much he once yearned for it. He’s a monster with a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.

Nearly six months after Kate and August were first thrown together, the war between the monsters and the humans is terrifying reality. In Verity, August has become the leader he never wished to be, and in Prosperity, Kate has become the ruthless hunter she knew she could be. When a new monster emerges from the shadows—one who feeds on chaos and brings out its victim’s inner demons—it lures Kate home, where she finds more than she bargained for. She’ll face a monster she thought she killed, a boy she thought she knew, and a demon all her own."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

14. Now I Rise by Kiersten White

And I Darken, the first book, was pitched to me as "a badass, anti-hero, feminist anti-princess" and I was so here for that. SO here. Not to mention the setting, which is mostly in the Ottoman Courts. I was so intrigued by that setting as I hadn't read a book set in that time period before and I'm such a history nerd! The thing is, I read the proof of this, and there wasn't all that much information on the back, and in actual fact the synopsis for the book keeps some things hidden too so I was surprised again and again when I was reading and I actually ended up really loving this book! Sure it's a bit slow to start off, the scene is being set. The groundwork being laid. This is literally the set up and background for all that Lada will become. You should have seen my face when I twigged that Lada is a female version of Vlad the Impaler, I was so stoked! So you can see why I'm excited for this book! 
I'm excited to see Lada become the fearsome Vlad the Impaler, I'm excited to see what light the author is going to show Lada in and I'm just really excited for all that's to come in these! Not to mention the first book had loads of LGBT representation which was another nice surprise! 

"Lada Dracul has no allies. No throne. All she has is what she’s always had: herself. After failing to secure the Wallachian throne, Lada is out to punish anyone who dares to cross her blood-strewn path. Filled with a white-hot rage, she storms the countryside with her men, accompanied by her childhood friend Bogdan, terrorizing the land. But brute force isn’t getting Lada what she wants. And thinking of Mehmed brings little comfort to her thorny heart. There’s no time to wonder whether he still thinks about her, even loves her. She left him before he could leave her.

What Lada needs is her younger brother Radu’s subtlety and skill. But Mehmed has sent him to Constantinople—and it’s no diplomatic mission. Mehmed wants control of the city, and Radu has earned an unwanted place as a double-crossing spy behind enemy lines. Radu longs for his sister’s fierce confidence—but for the first time in his life, he rejects her unexpected plea for help. Torn between loyalties to faith, to the Ottomans, and to Mehmed, he knows he owes Lada nothing. If she dies, he could never forgive himself—but if he fails in Constantinople, will Mehmed ever forgive him?
As nations fall around them, the Dracul siblings must decide: what will they sacrifice to fulfill their destinies? Empires will topple, thrones will be won . . . and souls will be lost."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

15. The Wish Granter by C. J Redwine

I do love a good fairy tale retelling and I really loved the first Ravenspire book, The Shadow Queen! Now first things first, these books are in a series BUT they're all different characters and plots. So I mean..you can probably get away with reading this one without having read Shadow Queen, but it'll be more fun if you read Shadow Queen first because there's bound to be mentions and allusions to events from that book! ANYWAY. The world of this series has such a fairytale vibe, duh, it's a retelling but I mean the authors writing and her storytelling really gave me fairytale vibes! Like I was picturing a big, leatherbound book of fairytales as I was reading if that makes sense! Shadow Queen had action, adventure, and romance that made you feel the warm and fuzzies and I'm excited for this second book because Rumplestiltskin! 
Legit never read a retelling of that before! 

"The world has turned upside down for Thad and Ari Glavan, the bastard twins of Súndraille’s king. Their mother was murdered. The royal family died mysteriously. And now Thad sits on the throne of a kingdom whose streets are suddenly overrun with violence he can’t stop.

Growing up ignored by the nobility, Ari never wanted to be a proper princess. And when Thad suddenly starts training Ari to take his place, she realizes that her brother’s ascension to the throne wasn’t fate. It was the work of a Wish Granter named Alistair Teague who tricked Thad into wishing away both the safety of his people and his soul in exchange for the crown. 

So Ari recruits the help of Thad’s enigmatic new weapons master, Sebastian Vaughn, to teach her how to fight Teague. With secret ties to Teague’s criminal empire, Sebastian might just hold the key to discovering Alistair’s weaknesses, saving Ari’s brother—and herself. 

But Teague is ruthless and more than ready to destroy anyone who dares stand in his way—and now he has his sights set on the princess. And if Ari can’t outwit him, she’ll lose Sebastian, her brother…and her soul."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

16. Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine

I loved Rachel Caine's Morganville books, I'm not going to lie, I was obsessed with them at one point in life and I distinctly remember being excited to get a snow day from school because it meant I could sit and binge read the first three in one go! I was so intrigued by the first book in this series...the Alexandra Library having not been destroyed and knowledge being such an important thing and all the possibilities it held! While I did find the book a bit slow to start, it wasn't long before I was drawn in to the exciting world the author had created and then I was completely hooked! I've loved reading the series so far, and with the events of the last book this one is promising to show us more of the world as well as another side of it, and it's promising plenty of action too! 

"Hoarding all the knowledge of the world, the Great Library jealousy guards its secrets. But now a group of rebels poses a dangerous threat to its tyranny....

Jess Brightwell and his band of exiles have fled London, only to find themselves imprisoned in Philadelphia, a city led by those who would rather burn books than submit. But Jess and his friends have a bargaining chip: the knowledge to build a machine that will break the Library’s rule.

Their time is running out. To survive, they’ll have to choose to live or die as one, to take the fight to their enemies—and to save the very soul of the Great Library...."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

17. Guardian of Secrets by Brenda Drake

I discovered the first book, Thief of Lies, on NetGalley and I was drawn in by the purple colour (I love purple!) and then the synopsis/concept of the book. I mean...this is such a book for bookworms! The characters can travel through books..how freaking awesome is that!? Although everything about this book is awesome actually! Our MC, the plot, the settings, the romance it was all so damn good and this book completely hooked me in! I wasn't too sure about it going in, I've been burned by books from NetGalley before that have sounded awesome but have let me down, but this book quickly became a favourite and I had to tell everyone about it as soon as I was done reading it! 
I've been so excited for this book and to get back in to the world of it, it kind of has a TMI vibe to it but obviously it's incredibly different from it! Genuinely, I promise you guys that this is such a fun, different and underrated book!

"Being a Sentinel isn’t all fairytales and secret gardens.

Sure, jumping through books into the world’s most beautiful libraries to protect humans from mystical creatures is awesome. No one knows that better than Gia Kearns, but she could do without the part where people are always trying to kill her. Oh, and the fact that Pop and her had to move away from her friends and life as she knew it.

And if that isn’t enough, her boyfriend, Arik, is acting strangely. Like, maybe she should be calling him “ex,” since he’s so into another girl. But she doesn’t have time to be mad or even jealous, because someone has to save the world from the upcoming apocalypse, and it looks like that’s going to be Gia.

Maybe. If she survives."


Add it to your TBR! 

~~~~

18. Going Viral by Amy Alward

Considering all the fantasy books I read, these books are a lot lighter than those and make a nice change from reading all these, sometimes, hard going books! I love them. They're imaginative, easy to read, fun and the romance is so cute! I loved the first book and read it in one go, and then did the same with the second one. It was so easy to sit and devour them! They're particularly good at lifting your mood up if you're having one of those days! 

"Having managed to find her great-grandmother's potion diary, escape Emilia Roth, save her grandfather's memories AND become a Master Alchemist, surely it's time for Sam to have a good, long rest? And maybe, just maybe, a date with her boyfriend Zain? But now that Evelyn is married and showing symptoms of the Gergon illness, it looks as though Sam's adventures are just beginning..."

Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

19. Haunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but from my perspective living on the outer edges of London, Jack the Ripper is something I've always known about. It's a huge unsolved mystery and unsolved mysteries really, really bug me so I love books about them that offer an answer. It was no surprise that when I heard of this book it immediately went on the TBR list and I got it near enough as soon as it came out so I could read it for Halloween! 
This book was freaking brilliant and I keep trying to get people to read it because the writing is fantastic. The characters are brilliant. The plot...oh my God. It kept me going, I had three suspects, two of which had a really strong motive and I kept flipping between the two so I was nice and surprised at the end and the big reveal! There's romance going on over on the side that I ship SO HARD and I can't even. I was so disappointed to leave the world but the end left me wondering. I had a few hopes for this sequel and Kerri has delivered because DRACULAAAAA! I was SO hoping to get something vampirey but I wasn't entirely sure if there was anything historical that would suffice and after all the research Kerri put in to the first book to make it so authentic I'm so intrigued to see what's going to happen in this book. 
I NEED IT NOW! 

"Following the grief and horror of her discovery of Jack the Ripper's true identity, Audrey Rose has no choice but to flee London and its memories. She journeys to the dark heart of Romania, home to one of Europe's best schools of forensic medicine...and to another notorious killer, Vlad the Impaler, whose thirst for blood became legend. But her life's dream is soon tainted by blood-soaked discoveries in the halls of the school's forbidding castle, and Audrey Rose is compelled to investigate the strangely familiar murders. What she finds brings all her terrifying fears to life once again."

Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

20. Black Moon by L. A Weatherly

I LOVE THIS TRILOGY! I really love it you guys and I'm going to be so devastated when it's finally over with this book! It's just so good! The writing and the setting is so cinematic and vivid, and it keeps you guessing. I love the characters and the plot, it's an alternate WW2 and it's so original but at the same time there are some pretty huge echoes of the real WW2 in there, and you can feel the tension and the danger off of the page. There have been some huge plot twists that I didn't see coming and now I can't wait to see how it all ends, even though I'm going to be so sad it's over! 

"In forgotten tunnels below New Manhattan, a secret network of rebels led by Amity Vancour are plotting to overturn Kay Pierce's brutal regime. Ingo is by Amity’s side, while vital information comes from Collie, working undercover as Pierce's right-hand man. Everything rests on one last plan of attack. If it fails, the fallout will be catastrophic."

Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

21. Reunited by Colleen Houck

It's no secret that I love Ancient Egypt and all Egyptian Mythology so when I read the first book in this trilogy I was in heaven. We had The Mummy vibes, we had all the mythology, action, romance and a quest like vibe going on. It firmly became a favourite. However, I was a little bit disappointed with the second book for a few reasons that I outlined in my review. That said, I'm looking forward to this final book because I'm hoping it can be turned around and I can ignore the disappointing parts of book two. I loved the first book so much, I'm hoping this is going to pull it back and end the trilogy with a bang! 

"After surviving her otherworldly adventure, Lily wakes up on her nana’s farm having forgotten everything. Her sun prince, her travels to Egypt, and her journey to the Afterlife are all distant memories.

But Lily is not the girl she once was. Her body is now part human, part lion, and part fairy. And if that isn’t bad enough, she must now harness this power of three and become Wasret: a goddess destined to defeat the evil god Seth once and for all.

With the help of her old friend Dr. Hassan, Lily departs on her final voyage through the cosmos and across the plains of Egypt. On the journey, she will transform into the being she is destined to become.
It is time for Lily to find her sunset."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

22. Lady of Magick by Sylvia Hunter

I had my eye on the first book for a while, and then it was FINALLY published over here and I got all excited because I got to review it! I hit a reading slump around the time this came out and got behind on some things, but when I finally settled down to read this...I loved it. Like a few books I've mentioned on this list, it was a bit slow to start and in a few places. But to be honest, sometimes books have to be like that to set the groundwork and the setting and stuff, and sometimes it can be done in a really good way. Hunter really sets the scene, lets you get to know the characters and the world of the book, and starts to set up the plot. I loved falling in to this world and the romance and I loved the magic system in this book! I was so sad for the book to end, but I haven't had to wait long for the sequel! I'm really excited to see more of the spotlight on the girls this time around, I'm not going to lie! I loved them in the first book and while we did get to see loads of Sophie I'm excited for her to be centre stage more! 
We've got a historical kinda setting going on, but the England we see is very different to the one we know and I love the twists the world was given to create this original and vivid setting. 

"In her second year of studies at Merlin College, Sophie Marshall struggles with being the only female undergraduate. Her husband, Gray, is invited to lecture at the University in Din Edin, but all is thrown into turmoil when he does not return from a journey to his childhood home in London. Can Sophie, Joanna and their friend Gwendolen Pryce rescue him? Or will Sophie find herself in a far greater crisis than anyone expected that threatens not just Gray, but the entire kingdom?"

Add it to your TBR! 

~~~~

23. Legion by Julie Kagawa

I love Julie Kagawa. I loved the Iron Fey series, it was some of the first YA I ever read and it holds a special place in my heart. I also love dragons, so combine that with one of my favourite authors and this series was going to be a firm favourite. That being said, I did feel my excitement for the third book wane a little bit. I'm not sure if it was the story itself at that point in time, or if it was me being on the verge of a reading slump and feeling a little bit burned out but either way I went in to the third book feeling a bit wary. I was right to be wary...but not for the reason your thinking. The book was great, we saw characters develop more along with the plot..it was the ending. Damn that ending. It's like the ultimate cliffhanger and I actually screamed when I read it. I am itching to get my hands on this to see what the hell is going to happen, because part of me is like "she wouldn't really....would she?" but the other part is like "yes. yes she would"! 
This series is such a brilliant and original take on dragons and dragon slayers, it's definitely worth a read if you haven't already! 

"Dragon hatchling Ember Hill was never prepared to find love at all--dragons do not suffer human emotions--let alone the love of a human and a former dragonslayer, at that. With ex-soldier Garret dying at her feet after sacrificing his freedom and his life to expose the deepest of betrayals, Ember knows only that nothing she was taught by dragon organization Talon is true. About humans, about rogue dragons, about herself and what she's capable of doing and feeling.

In the face of great loss, Ember vows to stand with rogue dragon Riley against the dragon-slaying Order of St. George and her own twin brother Dante--the heir apparent to all of Talon, and the boy who will soon unleash the greatest threat and terror dragonkind has ever known.

Talon is poised to take over the world, and the abominations they have created will soon take to the skies, darkening the world with the promise of blood and death to those who refuse to yield."
 


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

24. Dark Prophecy & The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan

I still haven't read Percy Jackson. Just putting that out there, it's one of my goals for the  year! But I've managed The Trials of Apollo and Magnus Chase just fine without, just so you're all aware! Magnus Chase is genuinely the first Rick Riordan book I've read which is shocking because I do love Greek Mythology! But I also love Norse Mythology and Magnus Chase has a tonne of it! I have a review of Hammer of Thor upcoming so keep your eyes peeled ;) 
ANYWAY. Both of these books are so brilliant, they're full of action and adventure, they're funny and well written and they're full of mythology which is what I love! I've gotten lost in both of the worlds Riordan has created for us and it's a tough one but I think Apollo might just be my favourite ever! Poor old Apollo...kicked out of Olympus and no longer a God...relegated to mortal and made to attend Camp Half Blood...poor little soul :') 

"Zeus has punished his son Apollo—god of the sun, music, archery, poetry, and more—by casting him down to earth in the form of a gawky, acne-covered sixteen-year-old mortal named Lester. The only way Apollo can reclaim his rightful place on Mount Olympus is by restoring several Oracles that have gone dark. What is affecting the Oracles, and how can Apollo do anything about them without his powers? After experiencing a series of dangerous—and frankly, humiliating—trials at Camp Half-Blood, Apollo must now leave the relative safety of the demigod training ground and embark on a hair-raising journey across North America. Fortunately, what he lacks in godly graces he's gaining in new friendships—with heroes who will be very familiar to fans of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Heroes of Olympus series. Come along for what promises to be a harrowing, hilarious, and haiku-filled ride. . . ." 

Add Dark Prophecy to your TBR! 

"In the third book in Rick Riordan's epic Norse mythology series, Magnus and his friends take a boat trip to the farthest borders of Jotunheim and Niflheim in pursuit of Asgard's greatest threat. Life preservers are mandatory for this wet, wild, and wondrous adventure."

Add The Ship of the Dead to your TBR! 

~~~~
25. Battlemage by Taran Matharu

I won a proof of the first book, and I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when going in to it, but it blew me away. The world that's been created is so imaginative and so vivid it's a joy to read, plus the characters and plot are brilliant! I've loved both of the previous two books. They've been original and fun and full of action and adventure and magic. Not to mention plot twists! These are those books that you can't read in public because you end up reacting to them quite vocally or wanting to throw the book because YOU CAN'T JUST TOY WITH MY EMOTIONS LIKE THAT TARAN! 
I will support these books to my dying breath because for me, they where something nice and different that made a nice change to the usual! I promise you, these books are SO good, I fully endorse the statement that says these are like Lord of the Rings crossed with Harry Potter and Pokemon. So true. I'm not going to lie to you guys though,  I'm a little worried about this final book because I don't think I'm prepared for it all to end! 

"After the thrilling cliffhanger at the end of book two, we rejoin Fletcher and his friends in the ether, where they must undertake a mortally dangerous quest, all the while avoiding capture by enemies and facing foes more terrifying than anything they have yet encountered.

But this is nothing compared to what truly lies ahead for Fletcher, as his nemesis, albino orc Khan, is on a mission to destroy Hominum and everything and everyone that Fletcher loves."


Add it to your TBR!

~~~~

26. Shadowcaster by Cinda Williams Chima

I seem to be one of the few people I know who actually really enjoyed the first book! I just thought it was great, it was a fantasy that was easy to read, wasn't overly complicated but still had a complexity to the plot, and unlike GoT I don't need to make a spreadsheet to remember who everyone is! (I don't actually have a spreadsheet, I'm far too lazy for that, I just read...stumble across a character wonder who they are and then carry on completely missing the point, probably!). I loved the magic system, the cast of characters, the world, and the plot and I really did get sucked in to it. I distinctly remember reading this with a really bad headache, but I just couldn't put the book down until I'd finished it! 
I really need to read her other books!

"Alyssa ana'Raisa is the reluctant princess heir to the Gray Wolf throne of Fells, a queendom embroiled in a seemingly endless war. Hardened by too many losses, Lyss is more comfortable striking with a sword than maneuvering at court. After a brush with death, she goes on the offensive, meaning to end the war that has raged her whole life. If her gamble doesn't pay off, she could lose her queendom before she even ascends to the throne. 

Across enemy lines in Arden, young rising star Captain Halston Matelon has been fighting for his king since he was a lýtling. Lately, though, he finds himself sent on ever more dangerous assignments. Between the terrifying rumors of witches and wolfish warriors to the north and his cruel king at home, Hal is caught in an impossible game of life and death." 


Add it to your TBR! 

~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...