Wednesday 5 April 2017

Review: Alice's Adventures In Wonderland



Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass
Rating: 3/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Bored on a hot afternoon, Alice, a bright and inquisitive child, follows a white rabbit down a rabbit-hole, and finds herself in Wonderland, a very odd place indeed. This unique story mixes satire and puzzles, comedy and anxiety, Mock Turtles and Gryphos to provide an astute description of the experience of childhood. 

Awkward confession time.....I haven't actually properly read Alice in Wonderland before, and I've never even looked at Through The Looking Glass before! I've read bits of Alice In Wonderland, and then I've read loads of books that are retellings or inspired by and obviously I've watched the animated Disney movie. But seriously. I've never properly read Alice in Wonderland! So I was quite excited to read both books! 

There are some really gorgeous illustrations in this edition, and I really enjoyed them paired with the story! I actually feel like I've read Alice so many times because of various retellings etc, there was something so familiar about the story! I enjoyed the writing style, the silliness to the story and the satirical elements to it. I also enjoyed the world and feeling like I was venturing through Wonderland with Alice. Alice however, I couldn't get along with. I'm not going to lie she kind of bugged me and I spent a lot of my time being annoyed at her, I'm not going to lie! 

I wouldn't say that Alice in Wonderland is a favourite classic of mine, but it was an interesting read and I'm pleased that I've finally read it properly! I also have to say, that the writing and language used in the book was very easy to read! I know some people struggle with classics because of the language  but this one was a breeze! 


SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...