Tuesday 4 April 2017

Review: The Night Circus


The Night Circus
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher!

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. The black sign, painted in white letters that hangs upon the gates, reads:
Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn

As the sun disappears beyond the horizon, all over the tents small lights begin to flicker, as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies. When the tents are all aglow, sparkling against the night sky, the sign appears.
Le Cirque des Rêves
The Circus of Dreams.

Now the circus is open.
Now you may enter.
 


I'm not going to lie, the gorgeous cover on this book is what drew me to it, along with the fact that everyone raves about this book! I have to say...I can see why. The Night Circus is a rich and decadent story, with evocative and vivid descriptions that paint a wonderful and engrossing world. The opening intrigues you and pulls you straight in to the story and the world of the book, and the interludes keep the intrigue going and are a nice, interesting way to break up the narrative. 

The Night Circus is pacey, and switches points of view perfectly. The different points of view, Ceila, Marco and Bailey, weave between each other, as well as time in some cases. Each character was different from the other and had a different voice so they where recognisable. They where all intriguing, and had different motivations, and where so very authentic and believable as you're reading. 

There's a tonne of extra material at the back of this edition, and I enjoyed reading the interview, the book has a fascinating backstory! 

Overall The Night Circus is a brilliant read, it has a fantastic set of characters, it's imaginative, well paced, there's romance sprinkled throughout it for those romance lovers out there. The world is vivid and magical and rich, and the story itself...I can't quite describe it! It's rich and dare I say decadent, the writing is beautiful too and the food descriptions made me really, really hungry! 

3 comments:

  1. My copy has a completely different cover. I love this one too! Oh, how I loved this book. I loved her beautiful writing style. The descriptions were so lush! I want that circus to be real.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my fave books of all time, so I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover. Never seen that particular one before, it's sooo prettyyyy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...