Wednesday 14 June 2017

Review: The Struggle


The Struggle
Rating: 3/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

A bloody path has been chosen… 

The war against the Titans continues, and they remain determined to wreak havoc on the world, but Seth has become something all gods fear. Now the most dangerous, most absolute power no longer resides in those who have been freed from their tombs. 

The Great War fought by the few is coming… 

All may doubt and fear what Seth has become. All except the one woman who might be his final chance at redemption. Josie will do anything to prove that Seth is on their side, but fate has a nasty way of changing lives, of changing people. 

In the end, the sun will fall… 

The only way they can save the future and save themselves is by facing the unknown together. It will take more than trust and faith. It will take love and the kind of strength not easily broken. No matter what, their lives will never be the same. 

For what the gods have feared has come to pass. The end of the old is here and the beginning of the new has been ushered in…


I'm not going to lie, I still really prefer The Covenant series, and I was expecting this to be the final book because it was supposed to be a trilogy but now there's four books...like I'm excited for another book but at the same time this book made me cringe one or two times. 

The Struggle picks up right where we left off and in this instalment we get to learn more about Seth and where he comes from and so on. I've been so intrigued by Seth and where he's from so I got super excited when it was pretty obvious what we where going to learn. I feel like Seth has matured over the course of this series, I've always loved Seth but I love him even more in this series, you can see his changed and grown although he still does have a tendency to do what he wants when it comes to Josie. Like killing Titans when he shouldn't be killing Titans. 

As for Josie she bugged me a lot less in this book, like last book she had such a thing about Alex and Alex is my favourite and forever my favourite so I wasn't all that keen on Josie being funny towards her because she was jealous and so on. She seemed to get over that in this book and it was nice to see them becoming friends. Since the last book she hasn't really changed all that much...although we do get to find out which power she inherited from Apollo. 

I continue to love our little group. Deacon's sass and pop culture references combined crack me up, like there was a zombie situation and he's like "Free from what? The set of The Walking Dead" and I was like oh Deacon. I continue to love Luke and I feel like we don't get to see enough of he and Deacon, especially as they went on their own mission to kidnap a demi-god! That would have been a fantastic chapter. 

Alex and Aiden continue to be cute, I've really missed them and I would kill for a book just about them and how they're doing now and what they get up to and so on. Like I know it won't happen but still. I need it. One thing I liked about this book was the apocalypse happening.....Seth and Aiden...finding...common ground....they where almost like...friends towards the end. Shocking I know. 

We didn't really see much of Apollo and I'm not sure I'm liking him much when we do. Hades though...I really love Hades. I'd love to see more of him, I'm not going to lie. He cracks me up, like when Hercules said "He could kill me" and Hades was just like "Oh the tragedy" I was like yes Hades. Saying what we're all thinking. I'm so intrigued by him! Speaking of Hades...we get a little visit from Caleb! Another reason why we should get another Alex and Aiden book...so we can see more of Caleb because I loved his character! 

Praise the Lord that 'The Hercules' wasn't in this much...when he first appeared in this book I was like "ffs he's such a prat" but then off he went and we didn't see him again. I can handle that. We do get to see Perses again, like on the one hand he did a good thing...on the other he took his sweet time about it and I still want to throttle him. Such a pillock. 

We get some new characters in this book, we briefly get to meet Mitchell, and we get Cora...another demi-god, and I totally ship her and Gable. I was disappointed that with this book we didn't get to see much of Gable after they went through so much to find him last book. He was there for two seconds and then he was gone for the rest of the book...we briefly meet Cora and that's it. I'm slightly worried that with Josie and Seth and all of their drama....they got overlooked in this book and I'm hoping that won't be the case with the next book. 

I have to say....there is one scene that was so like the Mummy Returns it's not even. Apollo totally Ardeth'd Seth and was basically like "you've started a chain reaction that could bring about the next Apocalypse" and Seth is all *arms crossed* *eyebrow raised* chill dude. 



I'm not really sure what to say about this book, like Jennifer is one of my favourite authors, The Covenant is one of the first YA series I read, it's one of my ultimate favourites and I love all of her books. I'm totally here for Seth's series and getting his happy ending but there where a few niggles with this book that made me feel a bit iffy about it. The Josie and Seth drama that went on a bit too long...like it's going to pop up next book because he hasn't told her something, and I feel like it's eclipsed other things in this book. I just feel like not much happened this book...we got a new demi-god but didn't see much of them...some other things happened and then there was the bombshell at the end that had me like nooooooooooo! So like half of me is excited for the next book but the other doesn't have as much excitement. 

Especially with the whole Josie's pregnant thing. Like every book I read recently, the main character ends up pregnant and I'm like....can we not. I really don't like it when a pregnancy is involved and the baby is quite clearly going to be a special snowflake, and it usually ends up making characters change completely. Like I don't know...maybe I have some form of Twilight/Breaking Dawn related PTSD about the whole thing, who knows. I was just so disappointed it took that turn especially as they've been having issues, and they haven't been together that long and then this happens and they're all fine and things are brilliant. I can just clearly see this going the Breaking Dawn way with the pregnancy and everything every time I picture this. 

All in all, there where a few disappointing developments, so I'm hoping in the next book that things will happen. More of Cora. More of what she and Gable can do. Consequences for Seth. More Alex and Aiden. More of Deacon and Luke. Apollo needs to stop being so crappy and make up for all his crappiness. I need for Josie to get a bit stronger. Sure she's training and everything but she still seems a bit not very good shall we say. I'd love to be able to ignore the pregnancy aspect but I'm just having huge flashbacks to Twilight whenever I think about it and I'm fairly sure I know how it's going to play out. So yes...disappointing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...