Thursday 31 August 2017

Light Novel: Rokka Vol 2



Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Vol 2
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy 
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

After discovering the seventh Brave and escaping her trap, the newly assembled Braves of the Six Flowers set off to fight the Evil God--only to find yet another Brave! With the clock ticking until the Evil God awakens, the seven set off into the Howling Vilelands with the impostor in their midst. A fiend appears, telling Mora her time is short. Not only that, but a commander of the fiends suddenly appears before the Braves. Could the seventh have something to do with it? Amid the chaos, a fierce battle begins!

I am loving this series so much! So, so, SO much. I love the manga, and I love the light novel although I do think the light novel is a notch above the manga! I've been so excited for this volume ever since I read the last page of the previous volume. The first volume just ended so perfectly and everything was wrapped up but DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNN there was another twist and I've been in agony waiting for this volume! 

So I went in to this volume anticipating epicness and more shocking twists and learning more about the characters. I was also hoping that the impostor was Chamo or Mora because after last volume I really didn't like either....I wasn't disappointed in one aspect, the other is more complicated! 

Right. So. There I am, settled down, ready to read this in one go because I specifically made time to read this without interruptions! I open the page and I started to read and I'm confronted with....

...The awkward moment when the volume opens with your favourite character having been murdered. I may have shrieked. I may have sworn a little bit. I may have been completely devastated. Then my brain kicked in and I remembered how things went in the first book and I started to run through every single possible explanation and scenario. I was still wrong. Towards the end of the novel I started to guess/hope about the ending and I was correct but right from the start I was devastated and waiting to see why this all came about. 

We have the new character of Rolonia joining our team this book. She knows Adlet and Mora and appears to be quite close with both. We actually got to know even more about Adlet and his past via her. She's timid at first but then incredibly scary in battle and the more I learned about her the more I had to admire how hard she worked to get to the stage she's at and how courageous she is. 

This volume is quite Mora centric, so obviously we learn a tonne more about her and her past. It was interesting to have this insight in to her and it changed how you perceived her and her actions in volume one. You understand her a lot more. I'm still undecided on whether or not I actually like her. I understand her, I understand her actions, and I know she didn't really do what she was supposed to and she was actually quite intelligent about it but I'm still a bit wary of her. Although, thanks to Mora we got to meet a couple of other saints that I'm very curious about! I loved Marmanna best, she was hilarious. We need her on Team Brave! 

Chamo I have to say is growing on me like a fungus. She's developing and changing and being a bit more grown up. She still irritated me more than once with her behaviour and how she acted but she is slowly, very slowly growing on me. 

Interestingly enough we learn a tonne more about the Fiends and their hierarchy which is going to be important in the coming volumes. We learn aaalll about Tgurneu, Cargikk and Dozzu the three commanders who are running things...sort of. We get to meet the latter two briefly as well, which provided some interesting insight in to how things are running and some coming intrigues. 

We get a nice chance of scenery too in this volume! Finally moving from the previous location to the Vilelands and the Bud of Eternity. We hear a lot more about the world too and I'm excited to get to see more locations. I feel like this series has some really brilliant world building and the settings and scenes are so vivid for me when I'm reading! 

Rokka Volume 2 is a brilliant continuation to what's going to be an epic series. There's more history to the world and characters. There's another mystery or two rather, with lots of different threads to it. There's more intense battles, and I'm talking really intense battles which fit the fast pace perfectly. These volumes really do have a cracking pace and the world, characters and setting suck you in! It's truly one of my favourites, it always surprises me and blows me away when I read. We leave this volume with everything seemingly solved and ready for the next battle but then....it twists AGAIN! And we have one or two more threads to carry us over to volume three and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, and how those plot threads continue! 

Rokka is hands down one of my favourite series, and I genuinely look forward to every single volume! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...