Wednesday 16 August 2017

Review: Legion


Legion
Rating: 4/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Dragon hatchling Ember Hill was never prepared to find love at all--dragons do not suffer human emotions--let alone the love of a human and a former dragonslayer, at that. With ex-soldier Garret dying at her feet after sacrificing his freedom and his life to expose the deepest of betrayals, Ember knows only that nothing she was taught by dragon organization Talon is true. About humans, about rogue dragons, about herself and what she's capable of doing and feeling.

In the face of great loss, Ember vows to stand with rogue dragon Riley against the dragon-slaying Order of St. George and her own twin brother Dante--the heir apparent to all of Talon, and the boy who will soon unleash the greatest threat and terror dragonkind has ever known.

Talon is poised to take over the world, and the abominations they have created will soon take to the skies, darkening the world with the promise of blood and death to those who refuse to yield.


I have been loving this series, it's unique and fun and I've been completely hooked. The love triangle is finally put to rest in this book, I do think it was dragged on a bit longer than necessary and it was getting very tired for me anyway. This book really felt like a YA to me. It was darker than the others, there was a lot of action and epic fight scenes, but I did find myself cringing a little bit at some of the romance scenes. 

I don't know what it was with this book. I really don't, I've loved Ember in every single book and she's really grown and changed as a character but in this book she really started to bug me. We got some interesting insight in to Dante and how he thinks and what his life has been like, he doesn't have the same view point on their lives as Ember and I think maybe getting so in to Dante's psyche in this book made my opinion of Ember change a little bit. 

We got to see some of their school lives and training, and I actually kind of felt for Dante and I could relate to him and how he was pushed to the side and so on. I could really see where he was coming from, and empathise with him and how he was treated compared to Ember. For me it really showed another side to Ember and I personally, started to perceive her in a different way. Like I said...she kind of started to bug me after that and more and more so as the book went on and we saw more and more through Dante's eyes. Then there was how Ember expected Riley to risk his underground and that whole thing. She just annoyed me this book and I really am annoyed that I got annoyed because it took away my enjoyment of the book and her as a character, and it made me cringe when reading the romance scenes. 

I have to say, I'm much more interested in Riley, Mist and Jade these days. I'm so curious about Jade and Mists and their pasts and the additional plot threads they're bringing to the table with the little mysteries they present. I want to know more about them! I was so pleased Jade was back, she could have some interesting information and I'm curious about the Chinese dragons in general. Then there's Mist who brings us a lot of intrigue and I'm dying to know who she's working for! I also totally ship Riley and Mist, I'm not going to lie! 

Legion is fast paced from the start, the cliffhanger at the end of the last book was so cruel and it's all resolved and sorted in this book and adds an interesting development, I'm sure there's going to be more to it! I did find some parts of this book to be a little bit predictable, but it was still enjoyable despite that. The mystery at the beginning added a whole CSI: Dragon Edition vibe to the book. Or maybe X-Files. 

For me, the last part of the book was perhaps the best, with an epically huge battle scene that had me on edge the entire time, not sure what was going to happen and who was going to die. I knew someone was after Ember's little speech and so on. The POV changes where short and snappy which added to the atmosphere and sense of urgency and tension and chaos. Legion ends on a note of intrigue again, and I'm excited to see how it's all going to end, and see how everything fits together and have all the little threads revealed and so on! I'm hoping I feel differently towards Ember in the next book too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...