Monday 18 September 2017

Manga: Waiting For Spring Vol 2


Waiting For Spring Volume 2
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

A sweet shojo story of a soft-spoken high school freshman and her quest to make friends, Waiting for Spring will delight fans of earnest, fun, and dramatic shojo like Kimi ni Todoke and Say I Love You. 
Mizuki is a shy girl who's about to enter high school, and vows to open herself up to new friendships. Of course, the four stars of the boys' basketball team weren't exactly the friends she had in mind! Yet, when they drop by the cafe where she works, the five quickly hit it off. Soon she's been accidentally thrust into the spotlight, targeted by jealous girls. And will she expand her mission to include... love?


I'm not going to lie to you guys, I love this series. It's my little dose of fluff and humour whenever a volume comes out and I genuinely look forward to each new volume. It's the only shojo manga I've ever read, so I'm not brilliantly versed in the ways of them so I could have missed/be missing something. That being said...on to the review and my feels about what happens in this volume.... 

So, we're a day or so on from the events of the last volume and we do get the rest of that scene in a little flashback and it played out kinda similar to how I assumed it would. Towa is giving Mitsuki the cold shoulder because he's mad, about what...well that's up to you. I figure he's jealous or upset about her friendship with Aya. 

Now, I ship Mitsuki and Towa so hard, it's not even funny. Things where going so well last volume, way too well for a first volume now that I think about it. So of course, along comes Aya to screw it all up. Which was fine because Towa makes his little declaration...interpret it as you will. I think I know how we're all interpreting it. Mitsuki and Towa do get a little closer in this volume, she's more relaxed around him to an extent, although the author does keep faking us out. Like when I thought we where about to get a date but it's like nope...group basketball time! 

But....I just can't figure Towa out. The guys do end up grilling Towa a little bit about Mitsuki and his feelings, and I can't decide if he realises his feelings or not. It becomes obvious in this volume that he's pretty dense. But it's also obvious he likes Mitsuki and they have mutual feelings for each other. I just cannot for the life of me work out if Towa realises how he feels or not. Because at one point it seemed like he was pushing her towards Aya at one point and I was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! HOW DUMB ARE YOU!?".  So I haven't decided if he's actually as dense as he seems, or if he hasn't realised his feelings or what. I guess we'll see. 

Mitsuki does come out of her shell a bit more in this volume thanks to said group basketball time, and she's attempting to put herself out there and make more friends with the help of Reina. Aya provides an interesting change in Mitsuki, previously her BFF, upon finding out that Aya is in fact a boy, Mituki becomes quite uncomfortable around him and isn't really sure how to act. Which is going to prove interesting next volume. So we kinda get two Mitsuki's....more relaxed Mitsuki with Towa and co...and then old school Mitsuki with Aya. 

Reina continues to crack me the hell up. I love her so much, she's such a shameless boy's love fangirl and I know full well she's shipping each of the boys with each other. It's becoming more and more glaringly obviously, except Mitsuki still hasn't figure it out. It genuinely cracks me up so much, like the whole "I hold in my rage" bit and when she's so happy but trying to cheer Mitsuki up and she's like "Shake it off" *Big smile*. 

Anywaaaaayyy, Aya surprised me this volume a little bit, because I spent most of last volume looking at Aya and trying to decide if Aya was a tomboy or was actually a boy...I went with tomboy and then the reveal happened in this volume and I was like "Oh". So it was a nice little twist that some may or may not have seen coming. We get to see some more of what Mitsuki and Aya's friendship was like when they where younger, and how they met and so on, which was really adorable and totally hilarious because Mitsuki realises all the things they did and discussed only because she thought Aya was a girl. Mitsuki is so relatable, I love her! I can empathise with her as well, with the bullying situation and how she feels. We get an....interesting scene with Mitsuki and Aya towards the end and all I can say is...love rival much Towa? 

But fear not, fellow Mitsuki/Towa shippers, we get plenty of cute scenes with her and Towa, that will provide the warm and fuzzies, and move their relationship/friendship along a little bit. However....that may be it for a little while as I have a feeling the next volume might be a little bit Aya centric. Just a hunch. 

Rui, Kyosuke and Ryuji are such little shites. That's my take away from this volume. No I'm kidding! I mean it's true, but more than that we do get to know them a little bit better this volume and see how they interact with each other and what makes them tick, although I think we get to know Towa the most this volume, with Kyosuke a bit behind. 

Speaking of Kyosuke, so Towa might not have realised his feelings for Mitsuki himself yet, but you know who has realised? Kyosuke. He's living for this entire situation, he looked way too happy at one point. He's going to meddle so much, I can tell. He's like a gossipy old biddy, sticking his oar in. I mean I'm sure he's Team Towa, but...I don't trust him not to relish his newfound role as Chief Meddler too much and screw it up. I'm not even surprised he's the one who's on to them. 

Waiting For Spring Volume 2 is even funnier than the first, and I was outright cackling more than once. Reina is struggling to hide her little obsession, and Mitsuki is starting to come out of her shell. Not very successfully but she's trying. We get a lot more character development, delving deeper in to some of the characters and their backgrounds. The romance moves along too as it becomes obvious about Towa and Mitsuki's feelings, whether or not Towa realises his feelings is another matter entirely. He's either self sabotaging on purpose, subconsciously or he's just really dumb. Who knows. But either way the plots moving along, we get some cute scenes, we get some trouble in the form of Aya and it's shaping up to be a dramatic third volume in our future. 

Buckle up kiddies, we're heading to love triangle territory and it's going to be a bumpy ride. Kyosuke said so and everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...