Thursday 14 September 2017

Review: Wonder Woman Warbringer


Wonder Woman Warbringer 
Rating: 5/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

Diana is desperate to prove herself to her warrior sisters. But when the opportunity comes, she throws away her chance at glory and breaks Amazon law to save a mere mortal, Alia Keralis. With this single heroic act, Diana may have just doomed the world.

Alia is a Warbringer - a descendant of the infamous Helen of Troy, fated to bring about an age of bloodshed and misery. Diana and Alia will face an army of enemies, mortal and divine, determined to destroy or possess the Warbringer.

To save the world, they must stand side by side against the tide of war.


So, I don't know if you guys know this but Wonder Woman is my absolute favourite. I've loved her since I was a kid and watched the old TV show whenever an episode was on. I have many, many items of Wonder Woman clothing. Jumpers, t-shirts, a swimsuit, and a costume...because obviously I need one! I spent years dreaming of a Wonder Woman movie or a book or anything because once the show was done there was nothing. Don't get me wrong, I love the comics, but every other superhero got so much. So you can understand my extreme excitement when I heard about this book. Not only was I getting a Wonder Woman book...but it was being written by my favourite author. I have been so freaking excited for this book it's not even funny and it didn't let me down a single bit. 

Wonder Woman Warbringer opens with an exciting chapter and it's a fast paced whirlwind of a story taking us from Themyscira to New York to Greece. I loved the mythology to it all, I was living for it. I love the Greek Gods and Greek mythology so I loved all throughout the book and I got super excited when anything popped up! The women throughout the book brought some brilliant historical aspects to it as well! 

Diana is my ultimate favourite, as we've already established, and I loved her in this book so much. She's brave and strong but still had vulnerabilities and doubts about herself which gave her a really relatable air. It made her a very real character for me. Not that she wasn't before, but the way she's been written and characterised in this book just made her so very real to me. Then when you throw her in to our world, she's all of that, but she's also like a little martian and hilariously blunt. Her interactions with Alia and the other characters and the city in general to be honest, had me laughing and smiling as I was reading. 

Alia has faced a lot of crap to be quite frank, and then she has to find out she's the Warbringer and it's like the cherry on top of the cake you know? It's quite a blow for her, but I felt like she handled it very realistically. I empathised with her a lot, and I really loved her. She was the perfect counter to Diana, the perfect partner for her in narrating this book. They went together so well, and I really loved watching the bond and friendship between them grow over the course of the book. Alia is nerdy but brilliant, and Diana's badass and caring. 

Jason was another story. I never quite warmed up to him. I wanted to like him, I really did, but I couldn't help but be suspicious of him. He seemed like such a pain and I wanted to smack him more than once most of the time. I actually felt really bad about it. I was vindicated in the end though. 

The rest of our cast are brilliant. I loved Nim to another level. She was completely brilliant! With her trivia and her confidence...she was such a lively and bright and colourful character and she really leaped off the page and in to your heart. I can say the same about Theo too, with his mad hacking and computer skills. I loved their interactions with Diana, and I loved their dynamic as a group with Alia and Diana. I could quite happily read a million books about this group of characters! 

Leigh has thrown in some brilliant Wonder Woman tidbits and easter eggs and I squealed whenever I came across them. They're not glaringly obvious but if you know what you're looking for it's a nice little touch to the book. Like in this book Diana has quite the interest in planes for instance. I was like...I see what you did there Leigh *wink wink*. 

Warbringer is such a fantastic story, there's the action, the feels, the smidges of romance and oh my Gods...the betrayal. I didn't see it coming at all. This book has plenty of twists and turns, and it keeps you hooked to the page and then the end happens and the big reveal and it's like...woah. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. There was never a dull moment, and I ended up reading this in one sitting because I didn't want to stop. It wasn't just the action, and the plot and the characters, the book was funny too. I chuckled more than once and found myself grateful I wasn't reading it in a public place! 

Wonder Woman Warbringer was everything I was hoping for and more. I was so excited to see Leigh would be writing this story and she did such a fantastic job. I'd kinda really love for her to do a series with these characters, even though I know it's probably not possible! Her writing fits so perfectly with Diana, I can't imagine anyone else tackling her story. She created an engaging and intriguing plot, vivid and atmospheric settings, and realistic, loveable and diverse characters. Leigh weaves everything together to create a story that you get so caught up in you can't find a good place to stop reading. There's Wonder Woman knowledge and easter eggs if you know what to look for, and the ending.....well, quite frankly, the ending, like the very end, choked me up so much. I wish this book had been out when I was a kid, I feel like it's going to have such a positive impact on the people who read it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...