Monday 5 February 2018

Review: Everless


Everless
Rating: 3/5
Buy or Borrow: Buy
Source: Copy courtesy of the publisher! 

In the land of Sempera, the rich control everything - even time. Ever since the age of alchemy and sorcery, hours, days and years have been extracted from blood and bound to iron coins. The rich live for centuries; the poor bleed themselves dry.

Jules and her father are behind on their rent and low on hours. To stop him from draining himself to clear their debts, Jules takes a job at Everless, the grand estate of the cruel Gerling family.

There, Jules encounters danger and temptation in the guise of the Gerling heir, Roan, who is soon to be married. But the web of secrets at Everless stretches beyond her desire, and the truths Jules must uncover will change her life for ever ... and possibly the future of time itself. 


Okay so I know a lot of people loved this book and I was expecting to one hundred percent love it too, but I had to give it three stars in the end and I did debate for a long while about whether to give it four or three. The first chapter slowly drew me in, it gradually piqued my interest until I had questions to be answered and wanted to know how everything worked, and I was intrigued by the history and legends but I did end up being a little bit confused at the beginning. Plus there was a section of the book that had me reading....but my mind was wandering while I was reading. It was slow and not much happened either. I actually had to sit down and read it in one go because I started to read it and it was days before I carried on reading it. 

I didn't immediately take to Jules, our MC either. Once she got her resolve and spirit and determination I found myself enjoying her as an MC more and by the end of the book I was excited to see what would become of her and who she'd become as a character. However she did kind of bug me at the start, and she was kind of meh in the beginning. There's no shortage of creepy characters, Lady Sida, Liam, Ivan and the Queen. 

I was ready to fully hate Liam and be all Team Roan. Liam seems like an asshole at first but I ended up being all wtf because Liam's behaviour didn't quite match with the image Jules had for him. It was quite obvious he wasn't the nasty character Jules thought he was, and I ended up being oddly curious about him. Sorry not sorry, but I shipped Jules and Liam hard. I really wasn't bothered about Roan at all, he and Tam both seemed like throwaway characters to be honest. We didn't get all that much information on them, or spend much time with them to be honest. 

The world was so creepy, but interesting all the same. I enjoyed working out how it all worked, even if I was a tad bit confused at the beginning. There's an interesting mystery surrounding Jules and the mythology to the world is fascinating, I wanted to know more about the stories. There was plenty of potential there as you read, but there's just such a long stretch where you're curious....but nothing's really happening. Towards the end it draws you in, and the pace picks up and more things start to happen. There where some huge reveals and twists, and all these little mysterious plot threads thrown in and then there's the ending...lets just say it leaves you wanting more and I'm anticipating good things from the sequel already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...